Methotrexate is a powerful drug that can be used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, and some forms of cancer.
While this medication can be very effective in treating these conditions, it can also have some serious side effects, including a weakened immune system.
If you’re taking methotrexate, it’s important to do everything you can to boost your immune system in order to stay healthy and prevent infection.
6 tips to boost the immune system while taking methotrexate
Here are some tips on how to boost your immune system while taking methotrexate:
- Get plenty of sleep: Getting enough sleep is essential for a strong immune system. Make sure you get at least seven to nine hours of sleep each night.
- Eat a balanced diet: Eating a healthy, balanced diet is one of the best ways to keep your immune system strong. Make sure to include plenty of fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins in your diet.
- Exercise regularly: Regular physical activity is essential for a healthy immune system. Try to get at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise each day.
- Take supplements: Certain supplements, such as zinc and Vitamin C, have been shown to have a positive effect on the immune system. Talk to your doctor to see if any of these supplements could be beneficial for you.
- Reduce stress: Stress can weaken your immune system, so it’s important to manage your stress levels. Try to practice relaxation techniques, such as yoga or meditation, to help reduce stress.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking: Alcohol and smoking can both weaken your immune system, so try to avoid these habits as much as possible.
What is methotrexate
Methotrexate is a common medication used to treat a variety of autoimmune diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and psoriasis.
Why methotrexate affects the immune system
While methotrexate is effective in reducing inflammation and relieving symptoms, it can also have serious side effects on the immune system. The immune system is our body’s natural defense against infection and disease. It works by recognizing and attacking foreign invaders like bacteria and viruses.
Unfortunately, methotrexate can interfere with the normal functioning of the immune system, making it less effective at fighting off infection.
How methotrexate works
Methotrexate acts on the body’s white blood cells, which play a critical role in the immune system’s response to infection.
By suppressing the production of these cells, methotrexate can make it much harder for the body to fight off infection. This can lead to a weakened immune system, leaving the body more vulnerable to illnesses, such as colds and flu.
In addition, methotrexate can also reduce the body’s ability to create antibodies. Antibodies are proteins that are produced by the immune system to help fight off infections.
Without the proper production of antibodies, the body can become more susceptible to illnesses and infections. It’s important to note that while methotrexate can suppress the body’s immune system, it is still an effective treatment for many autoimmune diseases.
The bottom line
It is important to discuss any potential side effects with your doctor before taking this medication. In addition, it is important to follow your doctor’s instructions and to get regular blood tests to monitor your immune system.
Taking methotrexate can be hard on your immune system, but with the right steps, you can keep your body healthy and strong. Talk to your doctor to make sure you’re doing everything you can to boost your immune system while taking methotrexate.